T SHIRT AND JEANS


Having a minimal wardrobe means you have to get creative. Because you have a limited collection of clothing, you need to have pieces that work together interchangeably. Everything in your closet should work with each other so you don’t have to constantly think of what combination of clothing your wear next. Repeating outfits must not be seen as a sin and a sign of boredom, but instead a way of cementing your overall signature style. Of course there are a lot of things you can do to spice up your daily ‘uniform’, and one of those is to add jewelry and accessories to your otherwise ‘plain’ outfit.

For example, I wore this simple Uniqlo grey tee and jeans outfit, but to make it a little bit more interesting I added this beautiful bag with beautiful embroidery that my best friend got me from Aceh. I think the contrast between the basicness of the t shirt and the intricacy of the embroidery made such a beautiful sort of juxtaposition. I love the colors on the bag by the way, it’s not too warm but it’s also not too cool, it has yellow embroidery on top of a dark blue background, and somehow that blends really easily with my overall cool-toned outfit. This bag also have a nice size to store your essentials, like your phone, wallet, and of course some makeup to touch up. I had on the L.A Girl Matte Pigment Gloss in the shade ‘Fleur’ that I got from the JakartaxBeauty event mixed with Pixy Lip Cream in ‘Bold Maroon’ and I made sure to pack those babies up with me that day.


For me personally, one of the basic pieces you need to have in your minimalist wardrobe is a pair of classic, black shoes. Now there are a lot of styles to choose from, and my heart has fallen for these beautiful ankle strap sandals that I got from Payless. They are very simple and dainty and beautiful, they had been on my wishlist to complete my minimalist wardrobe for a loooong time. They look good with anything and everything, they are comfortable to walk in (because of the chunky heels) and they can spice up your simple, casual outfit and make it a lot more chic. Another option for you is to don a pair of basic pumps with higher heels. High heels paired with some jeans that are cut right above the ankles will guarantee you longer looking legs, instantly! It’s my favorite trick to add heights, especially if you’re short like me (I’m around 5ft-ish, by the way).

But to be honest, the easiest way to spice up even the dullest, most boring outfit is to add jewelries. I love rings and statement earrings at the moment. The way those fancy pieces combined with plain t shirt somehow has a cool girl type of vibe (that I’m dying to pull off, lol). I put on some gold statement earrings. They looked like looped gold tubes which is kind of different but cool at the same time. I'm not normally a bracelet kind of gal, I used to be, but not anymore these days. But this gold bar adjustable bracelet is so dainty that I can justify wearing. It's supposed to be a palm bracelet, but I put it on my wrist because palm bracelets are just kind of annoying, no? I also layered some rings, a simple gold one with a red stone on top and two gemstone bar rings. And don't forget my trusty Fossil watch and my battered DIYed hair tie.
What’s your go-to outfit and how do you style them to avoid the minimalists’ boredom? Let me know in the comments!

photos by Andhika P.

CONVERSATION